The Sport Touring World is Changing: Take the Road with ROADTEC 01.
ROADTEC 01 is the latest evolution in Metzeler touring tires. With a focus on enhancing grip on wet and low friction surfaces, increased mileage, and a high degree of adaptability to different motorcycles, riding styles, and conditions, the ROADTEC 01 provides modern solutions to past and future needs.
Increased Grip Across a Wide Range of Riding Environments: The employment of completely new tread design, enhancing mechanical grip coupled with compounds evolved from those of tests-winner ROADTEC Z8, allows for increased confidence and feeling while riding in any condition.
Extended Mileage and Performance Consistency: New profile (larger and shorter contact patch) in combination with improved compounds ensure extended performance and tire life. Tread design, specifically groove geometry and positioning, ensure long-lasting performance.
Enhanced Precision and Riding Comfort: Structural elements, the fine tuning and Metzeler Interact technology, promote adaptive and predictable behavior across a wide range of motorcycles and riding situations.
- High transversal degree tread design for increased mechanical grip providing improved grip when riding on difficult surfaces.
- Larger and shorter contact patch gives improved stress distribution so the tires can ride longer, ride farther.
- Improved compounds solutions for improved mileage, grip in low friction conditions which allows you to ride longer, ride confidently.
- Tuning of structural elements gives balanced stiffness / flexibility across tire contour for stability, precision and predictability in riding.
Increased Grip Across a Wide Range of Riding Environments:
- ROADTEC 01 is able to ensure outstanding grip across an extended range of tarmac, weather and temperature conditions, even going beyond ROADTEC Z8 M/O, itself a test winner in 2015. This means an unsurpassed rider confidence when leaning, braking and accelerating, which can be experienced when riding in urban environments, on interurban roads, and highways.
- Ensuring a top level of confidence on these different conditions is made possible by combining a completely new tread design, new profile, and a dual compound layout for rear sizes.
- ROADTEC 01 tread design features a high number of grooves whose development is transversal to the rotation direction, with the advantage of increasing mechanical grip on the ground. The benefit of transversal grooves extends in many different conditions: from riding with cold wet weather on lighter weight motorcycles, to longer highway trips during summer on a big touring bike. The tread design as a whole also grants higher water drainage compared to ROADTEC Z8 M/O, thanks to groove placement and geometry which has been fine-tuned depending whether the motorcycle is leaning or riding in a straight line.
- ROADTEC 01 profile and dual compound layout play an important role on reaching the target in term of grip and riding confidence: on the rear tires, the shorter and larger contact patch:
- Holds a higher number of tread design elements, thereby increasing their efficiency;
- Includes a higher section of the full-silica shoulder compound, which is capable of delivering the highest chemical grip on wet and low friction surfaces.
- The dual compound layout on rear sizes features a central stripe with high silica content mixed with carbon black, to increase mileage and stability, while shoulders have a full silica compound providing top notch chemical grip even on more difficult surfaces such as wet and worn tarmac. The central stripe covers approximately 30% of the tread pattern section, with the remaining 70% of full silica compound equally split between the two shoulders.
- Front tire sizes use a full silica compound similar to the one on the shoulder of the rear tires, in order to provide excellent chemical grip in conjunction with the mechanical grip provided by the tread design. The employment of a similar compound between front tires and rear tires shoulders also helps providing a consistent contact feeling to the rider.
Extended Mileage and Performance Consistency:
- ROADTEC 01 features increased mileage (compared to ROADTEC Z8 M/O), obtained thanks to the profile, compounds, and structural elements.
- On the rear sizes, the shorter and larger contact works in conjunction with Metzeler patented Interact technology to provide three advantages:
- Reduces the rubbing effect which happens on the tire surface when the compound slips away from under the contact patch (brush effect).
- A shorter contact patch means that each point of the tread pattern remains in contact with the ground for a shorter distance at each rotation of the tire.
- Helps spreading the stress caused by the weight of the motorcycle and friction forces on a higher surface of the tire.
- An important contribution to reach the target mileage is given by the compounds layout which, on the rear sizes, features a central stripe with a dedicated formula mixing silica and carbon black. A careful placement of the grooves, following the wear lines generated by the friction between tread pattern and tarmac, allows preserving product performance and benefits throughout the product lifecycle.
Enhanced Precision and Riding Comfort:
- ROADTEC 01 focuses on providing riding stability, comfort and handling on naked, sport and touring motorcycles. The employment of Metzeler patented Interact technology, involving a variable 0 steel belt tension layout, reduces movements and vibrations generated by the dynamic forces happening on a motorcycles. These solicitations come from the rider (setting a bend, braking and accelerating, moving the body on the seat..) and the ground (surfaces irregularities, patches, bumps, drains, stone paving...).
- To counter these movements, the tire structure has a tension peak close to mid-shoulder lean, enhancing precision when setting up the bend and reducing the movement of the front tire. A lower tension closer to the edge of the tire provides a certain degree of flexibility for the tread pattern to copy as much as possible the tarmac micro-asperities, thus increasing grip and contact feeling. A lower belt tension around the central part of the tire (compared to mid-shoulder area), in conjunction with tread design shaping and geometry, helps absorbing vibrations and bumps, conveying the stress towards the tire sidewall - delivering improved rider comfort.
Heavy Weight Motorcycles (HWM) Version:
- As the key ROADTEC 01 performance attributes could benefit different facets of the touring world, some of the motorcycles which would profit from it are quite peculiar in terms of design (although employing standard sizes), therefore requiring a special version of the tire. The HWM special version (as in "Heavy Weight Motorcycles") is not to be seen as an enhanced version of the standard one, but rather as a way to bring ROADTEC 01 performance to a wider selection of motorcycles.
- On these models, HWM version features increased stability by reducing both in intensity and duration the oscillations happening due to road irregularities or steering maneuvers. Distinguishable thanks to a "Weight" icon next to the product name on the tire sidewall, the increased stability is reached by employing a 2-ply carcass on HWM rear tires, where standard rear tires have only 1 ply.
- HWM front tire version has the same number of plies (2) as the standard version, and the target is achieved by employing stiffer carcass material and sidewall construction plus a slightly different compound recipe.